Minestrone soup recipe
Posted August 11, 2023 by: Admin
As a lover of versatile recipes, you know our love of culinary flexibility. This creation fits perfectly into that category, as it accommodates the bounty of vegetables currently gracing the seasonal scene. Its preparation often becomes a comforting ritual on rainy days, evoking vivid memories of family stays in the heart of Italy.
Now for the surprise treat I’m unveiling today – get ready for a departure from the norm. This version, a departure from the famous Borlotti beans (the beloved coconut beans), introduces a harmonious rebellion. Instead, I summoned the treasures of my pantry – kidney beans, tomatoes, carrot and zucchini – ingredients that respect tradition while bending to necessity. Let’s not forget that this flavor also tends to complement potato, if you want to explore another exciting option.
What is minestrone soup?
The term “minestrone” has its roots in the Italian word “minestra”, a direct homage to the art of soup preparation. Tracing its origins back to the vast expanses of the Roman Empire, minestrone bears witness to the evolution of culinary creativity, having undergone a series of labyrinthine transformations over time. From its modest beginnings as a vegetarian dish, minestrone has undergone a myriad of adjustments as it has travelled through the ages. This gastronomic tapestry takes into account regional nuances and family traditions, sometimes inviting the presence of meat or rice into its richly flavored embrace.
What are the prerequisites for preparing this hearty soup?
Minestrone soup, in its captivating form, weaves a thread of culinary ingenuity. Unhampered by a rigid formula, it flourishes as a concept, inviting the ingredients of the moment to dance harmoniously. Imagine a canvas on which your pantry and crisper can unfurl their vivid colors. In my culinary escapades, I often summon :
- kidney beans,
- carrots, and zucchini
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes (approx. 340g)
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 small tin kidney beans (approx. 200g)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 60 g shellfish
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp. Italian spice blend
Let’s start cooking by following these step-by-step instructions:
- In a spacious saucepan, cook the onions in olive oil until softened, then introduce the diced vegetables after a brief interval.
- Incorporate the minced garlic, spices, tomatoes, and kidney beans. Ensure thorough mixing before adding the stock and pasta.
- Once brought to a boil, let the mixture simmer without a lid for approximately ten minutes, adjusting the duration for your desired consistency. If you prefer a more liquid soup, consider adding half a cup of water.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley before serving.
Why is minestrone soup good for you?
The nutritional value of minestrone lies largely in its abundance of vegetables. Its blend of carrots, green beans and tomatoes is a rich source of vitamins and minerals essential for promoting optimal health. In addition, minestrone is rich in dietary fiber, which is essential for a healthy digestive system.